Need a new website?...what are your options when it comes to styling and design?
There are generally two approaches when it comes to designing your next website.
Read on as we discuss the differences and the pro's and con's of each.
What is the difference between a templated website and a custom website?
Simply put, templated websites are prebuilt web pages that can be loaded into your chosen CMS (such as WordPress), customised (to a point) and filled with your own content. Templates are pre-coded with all the basic building blocks to make your website function. Templates simplify the web development process and are often the first port of call for small businesses looking for a quick, functional and cheap website.
Custom-built websites are built from scratch, uniquely tailored with your business objectives in mind. As the name suggests, they are bespoke and so are much more unique with unlimited options for the website appearance and can offer special features like e-commerce capabilities which templates can’t always handle as well (if at all).
Which is best?
Both have their own pro's and con's, read on to see which option is best for you.
- Good for small budgets
- No technical or coding knowledge is required
- Website development time is quicker
- A good starting point for smaller businesses
- Your website will likely have the same look and feel as thousands of other websites, so you won't stand out as much.
- Your site likely won't match any other marketing material you have.
- Site customisation is limited
- Can be less responsive across multiple devices, especially with poorer quality or older templates
- Some templates are not search engine friendly, limiting your reach
- Some features may not work with your template
- Limited navigation options/graphics
- Templates can be out of date and not well maintained this can cause security issues and may cause compatibility issues
- Limited support (if any)
- Unique to your company, and can be matched to all your other marketing material.
- Can grow with your business
- Site will work across all browsers and be responsive on devices
- Website is SEO optimised
- No limits on special features integrated into your website
- Ongoing support
- Easy to update
- Essential for E-Commerce sites – functionality is limited in templates
- Can be more expensive (see this blog post on how we make our websites affordable)
- Takes longer to develop
- Requires maintenance
Your Bespoke Website
Whether you are looking to make the move from template to custom website or if you are looking to create a custom website for your business, contact Blue Squirrel to discuss your requirements today. Each website we build is bespoke (not a template in sight!) and is tailored to your business objectives, your target audience and your brand.
Click here to see examples of our work or click here to work with us.